Monday, November 6, 2023

The Heart Horse

On Saturday, Cody's Wish won the Breeder's Cup Dirt Mile.

On Sunday, Cody Dorman, namesake of that beautiful horse, passed away.

It seemed a bit of poetic justice, yet a fitting end, to a lasting friendship between a boy and his horse. Cody's Wish was like a fine wine... he just kept getting better with age. Cody, the boy, held on just long enough to watch the horse who was named after, and whom he followed since he met the horse as a foal, win one last time before he was retired to stud. I truly believe that the horse was keeping that young man going.

Those of us who love horses know the feeling. I've personally gone back over and over again to horses whenever I was depressed or going through something difficult in my life. My own life is plagued with migraines that I get more often in a month than I don't, and going to the barn has always helped me feel better. Cody, I'm sure, felt the same when he visited Cody's Wish, before he received his name, and the colt put his head in Cody's lap. Horses can sense when we need picked up. They are mirrors of our souls. 

This horse picked Cody. He was his heart horse. If you've ever had a heart horse, you just know. It's like finding true love. The love for that horse kept that boy going. On the way back to Kentucky after the Breeder's Cup at Santa Anita, Cody must have felt a sense of peace. His horse had did it, and Cody had many adventures riding along with him. May he rest in peace, look down upon his horse from the Heavens whilst he is at stud, and feel proud for the horse that won his heart.

Most of all, may he no longer feel pain.

I'm glad that Breyer portrayed Cody's Wish this year. He deserves to be remembered just as much as Secretariat with his truly spectacular story. I would not be surprised in the least if his story makes it to Hollywood, it truly does seem from a fairytale. I'm going to add his model to my collection, in honor of Cody Dorman, a true horseman in his own right.

Rest in peace, Cody.


I just want to make a note that while I don't support the breeding of Thoroughbreds, we will not go into that on this post. This was in memory to the boy who loved the horse, not about the horse going off to stud. Please keep comments respectful and not stray away from the topic at hand. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment